Tuesday, September 15, 2009

We're alive. Barely.

We made it back, with only a few scrapes and bruises. Nobody got hurt physically and we made it back safe and sound.

This is not to say that it went well. To be perfectly honest, I think it was the worst fucking experience in my entire life to date. Sorry for the language--some things require strong words to get the full feeling across.

We'll tell the full story after I've had a night to decompress, think about everything that went wrong, and make sure I'm not suffering from PTSD.

Long story short, if you're thinking of trying canyoneering, don't. Not unless you're deadly sure you know everything you're doing. Our rappelling skills are excellent, apparently. It didn't help.

And now, I'm going to bed.

9 comments:

  1. For those interested, I found this online ... photos of the Subway slot canyon at Zion National Park. Looks cool, and a somewhat difficult place to reach ...

    http://www.climb-utah.com/Zion/subway.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sound like you had our kind of adventure! Can't wait to hear the details. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad everyone is OK. Sorry to hear the adventure did not go well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Scott:

    No. No it wasn't. There was at least two times during our "adventure" where I was in serious fear for one or both of our lives. If either of us had been down there alone, I'm not sure we could have made it out. It was bad. Very, very bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess this experience lets me off the hook for force-feeding you Triaminic cough syrup??

    (glad to hear you're both safe. A tale to tell the grandkids.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. this was a triumph
    i'm making a note here
    HUGE SUCCESS

    i cannot overstate my satisfaction.

    glad ya lived.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG just went to the suggested website. What were you two thinking?! That did not sound fun really at all...OK maybe a little, but also tortuous! I can only assume that you had an overzealous/crazy canyoneering guide to make things a little less/more? interesting?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Actually, from the blog comments, it was not clear exactly which route you were taking.

    One of them, the 3BIII, is slightly more sane to attempt, at least from what is described on the Web site link.

    The 5.8 one is insane and I think you both have the common sense not to try that.

    Is it possible you went down the wrong route?

    ReplyDelete